Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Home again.


My holiday in Scotland revealed a few things:

  • Scotch is really the only hard drink worth a damn--and best in very small doses. Also whiskey with an 'e' reminds me of Adrien English. I like it.
  • Nobody visits the Orkneys in October, making it the dream destination for me. So raw. So lovely.
  • I can and will run anywhere.
  • The Scottish sun burns bright and close. The moon as well.
  • Cheese is my favorite food group. 
  • I take a lot of photos of rocks. 
  • A new Scottish novella is planned for December 2016, tentatively titled The Pretender.
If you're following me on Instagram, you've already seen some of these highlights. I'm including a few absolute favorite vacation photos here, because who doesn't love to see someone else's endless holiday snapshots? Am I right? I still have hundreds of pictures to sort through, many of them flowers, rocks, sunshine, my face, cups, and blurry landscapes taken from the bus window. It was just a brilliant time and I bought a bunch of travel books along the way. Naturally, I'm already planning my next tour--some day down the road a bit.

Cheese.

Standing Stones Orkney.
We chased the other tourists away with our hideously bad Scottish accents.
Morning Run in Inverness.

Crossing from Orkney.

Inside a Clava Cairn.

Dizzy walk along the outer bailey at Stirling Castle.


Ploughman's. #saynotobeets

 Full moon. Church. Gravestones. Perfection.
Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, and moi.

Kirkwall St. Magnus Cathedral at night.


Cheers.
Happy October. It's good to be home again for a few weeks--Daphne is particularly thrilled. We're here. We're enjoying the foliage, and I'm working.




~LB

1 comment:

Jenre said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. I have family in Inverness and Orkney, and have visited lots of time. I especially like the white sandy beaches on some of the Orkney Islands. It's a beautiful part of the country.